Wednesday 6 February 2013

Talk Radio

Sorry folks. I'm a bit behind. I've been spending this week figuring out my future internship and classes (or modules as they like to call them).  I'm taking Photojournalism and Principles of TV News. After being blocked out of 4 different modules, I'd say I lucked out with these two.  So this past Monday I had what I like to call a magical night in Dublin. It started off with Molly and I venturing out to Temple Bar. Now for those of you back home, Temple Bar is a section of the city, but what's confusing is there actually is a pub called Temple Bar...in Temple Bar....which I was in. Anywho, if I mention Temple Bar from now on, I will be talking about the section of the city not a pub.  SO Molly and I were going to see a play at the New Theater where she will be interning. We got lost...on the coldest, windiest, rainiest night. My feet were frozen. See, everyone in the world knows it rains in Ireland. What they don't tell you about is the bone chilling wind. Thank goodness I brought a snow coat. Good call Dee and Meredith. On our travels I met a man, forget his name who asked if I needed a scooter. You'd be surprised, I get this question a lot, but the man felt entitled because he works with people with disabilities. He said I was the most beautiful disabled person he had ever seen....Thanks? We eventually found the theater which is in the back of a book store. Really neat. The play was called Talk Radio by Eric Bogosian. It's about a candid, harsh Talk Radio host in Cleveland, Ohio. I enjoyed it. It was a nice reminder of home and the actors were really good with the accents. We told them this afterwards and they were so grateful, they asked us to join them at the pub across the street. Naturally, Molly could not decline, because she would be working with them shortly. It was the BEST night I had here so far. We ended up talking to the actors for three hours! They were the friendliest, most caring, down-to-Earth conversationalists. These were 3o year old men too, and nothing was strange or uncomfortable about talking to them. Everyone in Ireland is just so easy to talk to, no matter their age or gender. I cannot stress how much fun I had. Half the reason I came to Ireland was for the people and if you do the same you won't be disappointed. When Molly and I left in search for a taxi it began to snow. It was the perfect ending to a perfect night. Walking down the cobblestone streets of Dublin and the snow catching in your hair; there is no other word for it other than magical. To top it off a policeman carried me into the taxi like a princess and we listened to Reggae music on our way back to DCU.  Side note: Did you know that the police force here do not carry guns? Did you know that no one in this green country carries guns? DO YOU KNOW HOW MANY CONVERSATIONS I'VE HAD ABOUT GUN CONTROL SINCE I GOT HERE?!?!?! Of course you don't. It's about 6 I'd say. Six separate conversations about the United States' gun control policies. My roommates (who are all fabulous human beings, who feed me and slag me...keep up if you don't know what slagging is) could not understand why people have guns in the United States. The one actor at the pub had his theories and he said he could understand why we have them. I could explain these stories in further detail, but it would really take too long. I tried my best to give a detailed description of both opinions of the American people. In short, most Irish people cannot fathom the need for assault rifles. I will not state my opinion but I will say, I do feel much safer in Dublin than I ever have in New York, Philadelphia or Allentown...Actually, I feel the safest I've ever felt in a city. 

2 comments:

  1. While that guy's compliment was awkward, I agree that you are BEAUTIFUL. Also, I'm so jealous of your magical night and all of your experiences. I'm living vicariously through you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You will be so different when you come home. You'll still have all the awesomeness you already consist of, but every one of these nights of broadening horizons changes people for the better.

    ReplyDelete