Monday 11 February 2013

To Kell and Back Again*

I've had quite a few successful outings this past weekend.  I'll start small then work my way to the grand finale.  I have now finally seen the film Say Anything with the amiable John Cusack. A classic for a reason, I liked the movie mostly for John, I will admit. He was just so comfortable on screen and so amusing.  I wish I could be that comfortable acting on camera. IN DUE TIME!
Next, I suppose you all know I had an interview with the Screen Directors Guild of Ireland this past Friday.  Let me tell you, I worked against all odds to get this interview.  I was the last one in my group to have a secure internship.  My college, it's faculty, DCU and my internship company was all putting pressure on me to get an internship by Friday or I would be forced to pick up another DCU course.  I had another prospect but I was holding out for the Screen Directors Guild, because I was praying they would find time to interview with me. After a couple dozen emails for the last month to an assortment of people, my last resort was to call the head of the Guild on her mobile (cell phone). Really unprofessional, especially because I had a whole company trying to land me this internship.  A middle man if you will. The Guild was extremely busy, but I managed to get a 30minute interview with Birch Hamilton, the head of SDGI. I was so nervous. On my way to the bus stop on Friday morning I realised my thumb was bleeding all over my white button-down. Shocker, I couldn't spend one day without getting SOMETHING on my shirt. (I cut my thumb on the toilet handle in my room because the chrome is chipping.) Anyway, the bus kept filling up every stop we made; I thought I was going to be late and miss my chance.  I was barrelling through the streets like a mad women with poor Dr. Sullivan trying to keep up.  We get there literally 11:58 and I make it through Birch's office door exactly on time.  It lasted a good 25 minutes before I finally had any inclination that I was "a perfect match" for SDGI. She said I was "determined" and I could start the 27th of March. Excited is a shadow of my feelings. This is such a big opportunity for me. I use to worry about my future every other day and now I can relax just a little more knowing I have a reputable, internationally known organisation on my resume. My job will mostly be organising events for directors (mostly Irish) and working in the same room as Miss Hamilton. EEEEEK! I left her office in rapture and found out that the Jameson Dublin Film Festival was selling tickets for the new Ryan Gosling film, The Place Beyond the Pines.  On my way out the door, I bought a ticket! 
 I now come to Sunday. Where I toured Trinity College with Luke, Alexander and my gurl Allison. (I say "gurl" not because I lack an elementary education but because it is an inside joke I am referencing and no you may not know what it is) It rained. No I'm sorry. It RAINED! All day long. Totally worth the cold I am now at battle with. Although honestly I blame Dylan.  He was sick when we were flying over here.  Trinity College is gorgeous. We got lost on our way to see the Book of Kells and stumbled upon the old library. It was breathtaking. It is what every library dreams to be. The entire room smelled like an ancient book. 
For those of you who are not familiar, the Book of Kells was made by monks in 800AD.  Written in Latin is the story of Jesus Christ.  During war, the Book was kept at Trinity for safe keeping and today they won't give it back. Who would? Despite the weather, it was totally worth To Kell and Back Again*.


****To Kell and Back Again is not an original title. All credits and royalties should be given to L.M. Ramsey for his ingenious word play and creative rhetoric. ****

1 comment:

  1. i loved the book of kells- we roger and i went to ireland in 1984- my mom bought me a pair of rubber pants because she knew how excited i would be- ulshy

    ReplyDelete